UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

If a nigerian passport holder has a right of abode in an old

Customer Question

If a nigerian passport holder has a right of abode in an old passport and not in his current passport is it valid
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes : My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.
JACUSTOMER-x7ccvgwu- :

If a nigerian passport holder has a right of abode in this country in an old passport and not in his current passport is it valid

Alex Hughes : You can apply to transfer the visa to your new passport by applying for a biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead.
Alex Hughes : If you wish to apply for a transfer you can do so here: https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid my colleague has misadvised you.

It is not possible to transfer a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in the UK from an old passport to a new passport.

The certificate of entitlement expires with the expiry of the passport and a new certificate must be applied for when a new passport is issued.

See here for the application process for a new certificate of entitlement:

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply-for-a-certificate-of-entitlement

May I help further?