Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hi, The spouse settlement visa has a question that asks

The spouse settlement visa has a question that asks whether the applicant has ever had medical treatment in the UK, GP's name, NHS number, etc. What implications does this question have on the visa application?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
It’s for the purpose of checking whether or not the person received medical treatment in the UK and then, if they did, checking that they had adequate medical insurance to pay for it.
If the person did not have medical insurance then it would have been a breach of their visa, which means that it indicates that a person has not previously complied with the immigration rules and conditions. If a person has not previously complied with the immigration rules and conditions of their visa then the Home Office have to take this in to account when determining the present/current application.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply Tom. I understand that it's ok for a person to receive medical treatment on a spouse settlement visa. But what if a person receives medical treatment on a 'visit' visa? The Home Office would probably held that against the applicant (when making future visa applications to the UK), but shouldn't the NHS charge the patient automatically if they're not entitled to free treatment?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
A visitor can receive medical treatment in the UK. Any person will be treated at hospital.
However, the visitor should maintain medical insurance. This is because once they have been treated they will be charged if they a visitor. The visitor will then refer the charges to the insurer.
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife had a routine 'cervical test' (hope I got the name right) done in 2008 while in the UK on a 'visit' visa. She was probably asked to do the test because she had previously visited the UK on 'settlement' visa. She has since applied twice for visit visas successfully in 2010 and 2014.

If we now plan to apply for the spouse settlement visa, what steps should I take to make sure that my wife's application isn't affected adversely in light of the above mentioned?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Just be honest about what happened at the time that she had the cervical test and state the arrangement that were made with regard to any costs incurred. Confirm it in a statement or covering letter to be submitted with your documents for the current spouse visa application.
It counts as medical treatment and so if you answered "no" to the question of whether she had received any medical treatment then you would be committing a deception. Deception is taken extremely seriously and you would put the success of your application in doubt.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know that Tom but I meant like would you suggest that I call NHS and ask if we owe anything to them? Additionally, shouldn't the NHS/GP have told us at the time that we'll have to pay for this test?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
They should have told you at the time if you owed any money. If they did not then you should state this in your statement/covering letter.
You can try calling them by telephone and confirm that you have called them in your statement. This should be sufficient for the purposes of the spouse visa applicaiton.
Tom