Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hi... Im holding a visitor visa and me and my boyfriend wants

Hi... Im holding a visitor visa and me and my boyfriend wants to get married. There is any way through This can be posible??
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I would urge caution. Although it possible for a registry office to marry you provided that you can both prove your identities, your addresses and give the 16 days notice of your marriage it may cause problems for you.
This is because if you are in the UK on a simply visitor’s visa then the home office may view getting married as a deception of your visa. This is because a visitor’s visa is simply to come for a visit and then leave. If you intended to come here, get married and then return to your home country then they will say that you should have applied for a marriage visitor’s visa:-
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview
Therefore, they will say that getting married whilst you are on a visit visa is a breach of the conditions of the visa. This may complicate you getting a visa in the future.
So, although it’s physically possible for you to marry by attending a registry office it is probably not advisable in your case.
If you absolutely intent on marrying then you would have to attend a registry office to attempt to prove your identities and addresses then give notice of your marriage though.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Thomas, but there is any chance to change my visa status, for exapmle?? Its not possible to Apply for another kind of visa which alow our marriage? Not even if we refund any special amount for it?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid that there is a condition to a simply visitor's visa that you must leave before the expiry of it. This is taken to mean that you must not apply to switch to another form of visa.
The only time where it is permitted is where the applicant's health would be severely prejudiced if they were required to leave the country.
I am sorry.
Kind regards,
Tom