Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am a British citizen living in the UK. I father a son born

I am a British citizen living in the UK. I father a son born outside the UK and whose mother isnt british. My question is can my son qualify for british citizenship
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
How did you obtain your UK citizenship?
What is your son's date of birth please?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Citizen by neutralisation.

My son' date of birth is 21th may, 2013

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
When did you naturalise please?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neutralised in July 2010. Child lives with his mum in Uganda.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And we are not married

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Your son is entitled to UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1981. This is because you were naturalised before he was born. This means that you are a UK citizen “otherwise than by descent”.
This means that you can pass on your citizenship to such of your children that are born outside the UK.
If your child was born before 2006 then it would have been a problem because UK citizens fathers could not pass on their citizenship to children born outside the UK if they were not married to the mother, but this has changed now.
So, provided that you are able to show that you are the father of the child your child will be a UK citizen (eg birth certificate). Therefore, you can apply for the child passport because your child is a UK citizen automatically.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So there is no need for him to neutralise. Otherwise much appreciated and am more tan happy with your service. Keep up the good work.