Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hello. The regulation I have found on the governments website

Customer Question

Hello.
The regulation I have found on the government’s website about naturalisation specifies as one of the conditions for eligibility that the applicant have legally lived in the UK for the past 5 yrs. However, I came across an exception to this rule applicable to some EU citizens where the period for required legal residence in the UK is 6 yrs instead of 5 and I can’t figure out to which specific category this extension applies.
Can you please explain to which particular group or circumstances this 6 year rule applies?
Also, would it be possible to give me an indication about the data the residence period is calculated? Is it the border control information about the date of the indicated date for arrival in the UK or is other proof of residence required? I have arrived in the UK in January 2009 and in March I have registered with he NHS. Is that information at all useful in proving my continuous residence in this country?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
It is 6 years as EEA nationals become permanent residents after 5 years in the UK exercising treaty rights and after 1 year of becoming permanent residents, they are free to apply for naturalisation assuming they are not married to British Citizens.
The date of actual arrival in the UK is what is relevant so in your case it would be January 2009
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Can you please clarify one detail though.

Is becoming a "permanent resident" at the end of the first 5 years of legal residence something that needs to be confirmed and/or acknowledged by some official act/resolution or is it just a chronologic threshold used as reference for calculating the following 1 year period after which the resident is allowed to apply for naturalisation?

Thank you again,

It is a chronological threshold and is automatically acquired, no need of official confirmation although helpful to get it officially confirmed to prove acquisition of this status.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would be highly appreciated, along with your very prompt replies, if you'd tell me what is the procedure of getting my permanent resident status officially confirmed.

Kind regards,

Please leave feedback and open a new question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't seem to have the option to leave feedback at this stage, and the only option the webpage is giving me for opening a new question is by selecting "Not satisfied with your Expert" and although your answer is incomplete I wouldn't go as far as saying I wasn't satisfied with your service so far.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your message Nicola.

By now I have seeked assistance somewhere else so your effort to find another professional for my query would not be justified. Please feel free to close this question but keep in mind that although I haven't rated the answer I got so far as "un-satisfactory" I don't consider my query was addressed properly.

Regards,

Vir