cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  Approved Immigration Expert.
18726264

I am an American living in the U.K. I have an indefinite stamp

I am an American living in the U.K. I have an indefinite stamp in my expired passport. I am currently applying for a job in the U.K. The employer will not employ me unless the stamp is transferred to my new passport. I have worked in the U.K. for at least 20 years prior to taking a break to raise a family.
What should I do to transfer my indefinite stamp to my new passport?
Lisa ***** *****
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lisa thank you for your question. The first thing to say is that for travel purposes it is not ( and has never been) a requirement that you transfer your indefinite leave to remain to the new passport and it is sufficient that you produce your expired passport with the stamp when it is necessary along with your current passport. Unfortunately the rules about identifying when an employee is eligible to work require that your visa is in a current passport or in a residence permit.
You will find the information you need on this page in the government website:
https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa
You will see from this that you can no longer apply to transfer a visa to a new passport if you are resident in the uK. You have to apply for a biometric residence permit. Obviously as you now know you filed the wrong application for further leave application for a residence permit.
Let me know if I can clarify anything further