UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

HiMy name is***** came to UK on fiance visa and

My name is***** came to UK on fiance visa and got married here. My wife is UK born and we are living together since our marriage in rented flat. I came in Sept 2011 and got married in Nov 2011 and then applied in December 2011 for leave to remain visa. I got the visa in Sept 2012 for 2 years. Now on 14th Sept my visa is expiring. Can you please confirm what are the requirements for the extension of leave to remain visa in my case and also do i require to pass an English exam and if yes which level i require. Please give all the details including the fee and time it will take.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You may apply for indefinite leave to remain anytime from now using form SET(M).
You will need to pass the life in the UK test and have an English language pass certificate, further details of the required levels are here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349051/Approved_secure_English_language_tests.pdf
Details of the fee depend on how you apply, see the form for further details on the fee and various methods of applying
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/314891/SET_M__06-14.pdf
Basically, if you apply by post, the fee is £1093 and if you apply in person, the fee is £1493
I would suggest that you apply in person if possible so that you get a decision on the same day, if you apply by post, it could take up to 6 months.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response. As my leave to remain is expiring on 14th of sept. Can I still apply for leave to remain of its compulsory to apply indefinite. Please confirm if there are any English requirement I have to pass. I don't have much time so what will be best possible.

You may apply for further leave to remain using form FLR(M) as you do not have time to pass the English test. It is not compulsory that you apply for indefinite leave to remain.
Once you pass the English test, you may immediately apply for indefinite leave to remain. Please also note that you will.be able to apply for British Citizenship immediately you receive indefinite leave to remain.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Last question do I come in category before 9th july 2012 as I got the Leave to remain in Sept 2012 but applied in dec 2011.

Yes, you come in the earlier category as you applied before the July 2012 changes.Please leave feedback