Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was married to a man from Ghana. He was here on a student

I was married to a man from Ghana. He was here on a student visa at first and got a work permit. After i was married to him for 3 years as soon as he got english passport, british citizenship he divorced me? He never lived with me when we were married did he do wrong?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Do you have any proof that he considered it a marriage for the purpose of a UK passport?
Not living together is obviously unusual for a married couple, can you tell me how you thought the marriage was genuine even though you did not live together? I don't mean to pry but what you do next is a bit dependent on this because it's the sort of question the home office would ask..
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no proof apart from the fact that as soon as he got everything he

needed he divorced me. I kept asking why he never lived with me and he just used to laugh, he used my address for correspondence to him. I thought he had to make things right with his family in Ghana,although he never took me on holiday with him. I live with my 4 adult children so i was quite happy at this arrangement.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Okay.
When did he obtain his UK citizenship and when did he divorce you?
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He got his uk citizenship in June 2014 and took me on holiday to amsterdam in october 2014 and told me he didnt love me anymore and wanted a divorce asap.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The home office will only take action to revoke citizenship where there is clear evidence that it was obtained by deception. Therefore, they will only act if there is incontrovertible proof that the marriage was considered by him to be a sham marriage simply for the purpose of obtaining citizenship.
The time is very suspicious, I agree, in that he divorced quite soon after obtaining UK citizenship and if there were no complicating factors then you would have a small but not inconsiderable chance of getting them to believe that it was a sham marriage.
The problem is that you supported his application when he applied for ILR as his spouse. You then supported his application when he applied for naturalisation. However, during apparently the whole of your marriage you appeared not to live together. The home office might take the view that a reasonable person would consider not living together for any of this time to be evidence of a sham marriage which they should have realised. So, they might conclude that you colluded with your husband despite the fact that it was a sham marriage. This could potentially get you in trouble.
It is this risk that you have to balance with the only small chance of actually getting them to do something about his citizenship. In my view your personal situation would probably be best served by simply letting sleeping dogs lie and leaving it, but if you are so motivated by what he has done that you are prepared to take the above risk then you can do so accepting the potential risks.
I really am sorry, it’s a horrible thing to have happened.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom