UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi Im british citizen by birth and my children from my 1st

Customer Question

Hi Im british citizen by birth and my children from my 1st marriage all have british citizenship, Im currently living abroad and contemplating a 2nd marriage under sharia law. Need to know if my 2nd marriage is legal under UK law and will my children from my 2nd marriage also be uk citizens? Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Your 2nd marriage will not be legally recognised in the UK as bigamy is prohibited in the UK but your children from the 2nd marriage will be British Citizens as UK nationality law does not discriminate against illegitimate children.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Outside of not being recognized are there any negative consequences to the 2nd marriage and how will the process of registering the children birth look like cause I do remember the consulate will ask for a marriage certificate when issuing a birth certificate and consequently a passport. thank

You are not legally obliged under English law to be married to the woman you have children with so there are absolutely no consequences if you are not married to the mother of your children.
You are also not obliged to register the children's births with the British consulate, you may apply for their passports directly and I believe you submit their passport applications directly to the UK Passport Office without involving the local British consulate.
Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi when saying not legally obliged to be married does that entails I omit this piece of info or I can disclose that I am married to a 2nd wife

You may mention it, see here for more information on the subject

http://www.duncanlewis.co.uk/crime_news/What_is_Bigamy_(15_March_2012).html

All the best