Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I need to travel in 6 weeks and am applying for my citizenship

Customer Question

I need to travel in 6 weeks and am applying for my citizenship . How long does it take and what is the best way to proceed if you need your passport to travel.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Your passport will be held by the Home Office for the duration of the time that they have your application until they determine it. It will then be returned to you with your certificate of naturalisation.
However it can take a bit of time to return the documents to you once you have been approved. Usually about 2-3 weeks.
After you’ve submitting your application they send you a letter confirm they have your application within 4 weeks. The time from when you submit the application to when you are approved is massively variable. They simply state that most applications are decided within 6 months and that’s all they say.
It depends on how complicated the application is. If yours is extremely straightforward with no complicating factors and you submit all the required documentation then I would expect it to be determine within 12 weeks of the date that you submit the application. If it’s more complicated and there are points at issue then you can expect it to be considerably longer than this.
Basically, I would certainly not book any flights for the duration after you have submitted your application because you have no guarantees as to when you might get it back. There is no way to speed up the process unfortunately.
I am sorry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom

Thanks . I have to be in SAfrica for work on 1 November and am ready to submit my straight forward application for naturalisation . Is there any way they can return my passport and or biometric card to allow me to travel. I can get a temporary SA passport to travel to SA so they could keep that as long as I have my biometric card I will be able to return to UK ?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that there is no automatic right for you to insist that the passport is returned to you. It is entirely at their discretion and unfortunately I think it unlikely that they will do so.

It's worth asking, I suppose, but it's not something that you can rely on them to do regrettably.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. last question -is there anything like a personal appointment when you go in person and they process it there and then as they did with the permanent residence application ?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

NO, i'm afraid not.

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help !

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Your welcome.

Tom