Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hello, I am in the UK right now and I am a non-visa national. When

I am in the UK right now and I am a non-visa national.
When I arrived I stated that I would stay for a quantity of days but I changed my planes and want to extend my visit (inside the 6 month period allowed).
I received a 6 month stamp but I am not sure if i can extend my time here or not.
Should I contact any authority regarding my situation?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
What date does your visa run from and to please what do you mean by changed plane?
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry, i mean 'plans' not planes.
I am a non-visa national so I received a stamp on my passport at border control saying that I have 'leave to stay up to 6 months. No work or public funds allowed'
I declared on my landing card that I would leave on a certain date but I would like to stay some more, but not exceeding the 6 month period stated on my passport stamp.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
What has led to the change of plans please? What has changed that you did not realise when you landed?
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was going to stay for some days with my boyfriend because I had some obligations back home but I was able to postpone it and I can stay longer with him, because we were on a long distance relationship. I will be staying some weeks more, but nothing even near 6 months.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Did you apply for your visa in advance of your travel?
Or did you simply fly to the UK without a visa and then were granted one at the airport?
Please note that I have a meeting now for about 45 mins. I should be able to respond after then..
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not need a visa to come to the UK. I simply flew to London and there they granted me with a LEAVE TO STAY FOR 6 MONTHS. NO WORK OR PUBLIC FUNDS ALLOWED.
The immigration officer stamped my passport with this and with the date I arrived in the UK.
I've been to the UK in May this year and stayed for a week and the process was the same.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The question is whether or not they noted the length of time that you stated you were going to stay on their records of you. If they did and you stayed for longer then it could cause problems when you attempt to come to the UK again, because they may take the view that this was a minor deception and could use it as a basis to refuse you entry.
If they did not note the length of time that you said you were going to stay when you told them then they would not have any records and so would simply check that you were leaving before the expiry of your leave to remain and then there would be no further problem.
If you believe that your plans to leave were not noted then you are fine to stay.
If you do not know whether or not it was noted and you will certainly wish to come to the UK again (which presumably you will do due to your partner being here) then I personally would play it safe and return on or before the time that you said you would return by to the entry clearance offices. If you do not then you do so knowing the potential risks to your future entry or visa applications.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by note?
I had to put the length of my staying on the landing card and present my ticket back so they know how long I am supposed to stay.
If i can't stay 6 months why did i received permission to stay 6 months?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
I mean whether or not they wrote down the date you said you would leave by in their online records for you.
6 months is the automatic length of leave to remain that is issued regardless of what you say to them about how long you stay.
My point is that this could be construed as a minor deception if you stay longer than you said you would, which could cause problems for you later. If you were to stay later then it came up as an issue when you attempted to enter again or applied for a visa then you would have to try and explain why you did it to the home office. Whether they accept your explanation at that point in time is uncertain.,
Tom