Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My UK visa has expired what should I do?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
What visa did you most recently have?
Are you in a relationship with anybody in the united kingdom?
Do you have any children in the united kingdom?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

UK ancestral visa, I'm not in any relationship, and I have no children

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Has any action been taken to have you deported?
Why did you let your visa expire?
When did you arrive in the united kingdom on your ancestry visa?
When did your visa expire?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No action has been taken yet. I have been advised that I will get a letter from the UKBE? That I will have to respond to immediately but nothing yet. My visa expired on the 10th of this month. I didn't think I needed to renew it, if I applied immediately for citizenship. I was asked to leave my job, so I haven't even applied.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
When did you enter the uk on your ancestry visa please?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The 20th of Sep 2009

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
The good news is that all is not yet lost. The bad news is that you must act very quickly in order to maintain your stay and apply for ILR
If you are otherwise eligible for ILR then because of the 28 days rule if you apply within 28 days of the date that your visa expired then your application will stil be considered for ILR.
Please refer to the following link and in particular page 25 of 31 pages. You will that the clearance officiers are able to disregard breaks in lawful stays where the application is made no more than 28 days from the date of the expiry of the applicants previous leave. Therefore, your application for ILR will still be considered.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/275188/ILRcont_periods.pdf
So, if you otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for ILR under your ancestry then you have 28 days from the 10th of September in order to apply.
I would start gathering your documents now with a view to seeing a solicitor in order to prepare your application and evidence with a view to submitting before the 28 days expires.
If it does expire without you submitting an application then you are in a really bad position and would likely have your application refuse and eventually deportation proceedsing are likely.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which solicitors would you recommend?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
cannot give recommendations under the terms and conditions of this site.
However, any local solicitor practicing immigration law at a high street firm will be able to assist you.
You can use the law society find a solicitor search engine to search for solicitors near you.
Kind regards.
Tom