UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I would like to clarify whether my father is a British

I would like to clarify whether my father is a British citizen and whether I, in turn, have a claim to British citizenship by descent.
My father was born in the then British/Crown colony of Hong Kong in 1955. Both of his parents had been naturalised as citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies under the British Nationality Act 1948 and were married prior to his birth.
My father and my grandparents relocated to Australia in or around May 1956. They all travelled on British passports (with my father travelling on my grandmother's British passport). In November 1968, they were each registered as Australian citizens (I believe they did so with the understanding that this would not affect their CUKC status).
I was born in New Zealand and am an Australian citizen, but would like to clarify my father's position, and also find out whether I have a claim to British citizenship/am eligible for a British passport.
Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
From the information you have given, it would appear that your father has a a claim to British Citizenship but you do not as your father was not born in the UK and I assume that your mother was not born in the UK as well.
You are eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry visa which will allow you to live and work in the UK and after 5 years on this visa, you may apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
See here for information on the Ancestry visa
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please leave a review