UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I have an indefinite leave visa obtained in 1998 with my daughter

Customer Question

I have an indefinite leave visa obtained in 1998 with my daughter born 13/9/1997. It says holder +1-16. She's 17 now and we are due to travel to Jamaica in next few days. Will there be any restrictions for her or is it when she's 18 years old?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Has your daughter not traveled outside of the UK since you have had the visa?
On what basis did you obtain nationality?
Was your daughter born in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has travelled on her own taking my passport with her to show visa. Visa is a settlement/wife. My daughter was born in Zambia.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
How long has your daughter lived in the UK?
Is her father also in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She came in 1998 born in 1997. Her father is british.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Just finally, was the child born out of wedlock?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No,we were married
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply,
In this you should have applied for the child's British passport a long time ago, she is British at birth and should have obtained a passport by now. The best solution would be for you to obtain a passport before traveling to Jamaica. This would be by using the passport application form at your local post office and submitting all the required documents to confirm her citizenship.
If as you mentioned time is of the essence you can contact the local passport office to see if they would arrange an urgent passport for your daughter before she travels. Please see the following link:
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
If you are unable to get a passport urgently then, there is a risk that you can encounter problems when you return to the UK. If there is no option but to travel then she would need to take all her documents confirming she is the daughter of the British citizen and that at the time of birth her father was British.So her birth certificate , your marriage certificate, your husband's birth certificate or naturalisation certificate if he was not British at birth,confirming that he was British at the time of birth. If you do have problems, returning then you would need to present these documents to the immigration officer stating that she will be applying for a British passport as soon as she enters the UK.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A couple of years ago zambia did not have dual nationality and as she was born in zambia I wanted her to make her own decision to apply for British citizenship when she was older. It's too late to apply now so we'll take the risk. Thanks for your help
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Its a pleasure, however, she is able to apply for British citizenship if she wishes.
I hope this answers your question, if so kindly provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

I hope this answers your question, if so, kindly provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can assist you with? if not kindly provide a rating so i can get credited for my time.