Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My UK student visa expires on the 30th of october. do i have

Customer Question

My UK student visa expires on the 30th of october. do i have to leave on that day or do I have a small window of time that i can leave the country?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
You should leave before the expiry of your visa. Your conduct in this regard simply could not be questioned in the future when you apply for further visas.
If you were to overstay more than 28 days after the expiry of your visa then any visa applicaiton that you submit in the future (other than for a spouse visa or a visa based on a child). IN addition you would also receive a re-entry ban of one year in which any application you would send in would simply be returned to you and not even considered. This would be automatic.
Even if you were to leave within 28 days of your visa expiring then although would not receive a re-entry ban but the home office would still take in to account that you have not left before your visa expired when they consider your future applications, which basically means that your future applications would be highly likely to be rejected.
Basically, if you wish to return to the uk on any visa other than a spouse visa or a visa based upon a child in the UK then to protect yourself you should leave on or before the expiry of your visa.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom