UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

hello my boyfriend who is a usa citizen has an american passport

hello my boyfriend who is a usa citizen has an american passport he was married and living in france with his wife and had a residency card. he split from his wife whilst they were both living in the uk and his french residency card ran out. customs in uk told him as he had a french residency card that had run out this was a big problem for them and they told him normally americans dont need visa to come there but he had to get one. he was told last time he tried to come to u.k, the fact he was married in france before they made it look as if he wanted to come and just live there in the uk when he had a round trip coming from france and did not have a ticket back to New York but he had his resident card from france but it was expired. i have asked him over for christmas this year but if he doesnt come over with visa then i am afraid will be sent back,plus they said he has to prove how he can take care of himself finance wise etc.. last bank details and statement from last 6 months. we both do not know what to do next or where to go with this as i want him over for 2 weeks at christmas.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
How long does your friend wish to come to the UK for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

14 days

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest that he apply for a UK Visit visa from the US before coming to the UK as having the visa means he should not have any problem entering the UK whereas if he flies to the UK, there is a strong possibility that he will be refused entry and sent back home due to his past immigration history.
See here for the application process
http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/USA/applicationcentre.html
May I help further?