UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I have a question regarding naturalising as a British

I have a question regarding naturalising as a British Citizen being an EU Country National (Romania). I have been living in the UK for more than 6 years now (since 2008) studying full time and I would like to apply for British Citizenship. In the requirements list it says that I must have been living here for 5 years plus 1 year as a permanent resident. However, I have not applied for the permanent residency after the 5 years period because I thought that the residency will be automatically changed after this period of time and I don't have to apply for it. Could you please confirm if my last year of living in UK counts as "permanent residency" and that I am eligible to apply for naturalization? Thank you very much and I look forward to your reply.
Kind Regards
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you are correct. Permanent Residency is obtained automatically after living in the UK for 5 years and provided you exercised treaty rights in the 5 year period.

In your case, the last year in the UK would have been as a permanent resident as you have been studying throughout and therefore exercising treaty rights.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would my permanent residency status be broken if I had suspended my studies for two months due to health reasons?

Thank you for the quick reply.

No, your permanent residency is not broken as there is no requirement for you to even study at all once you become a permanent resident.

You only lose PR if you leave the UK for 2 years or longer at a time.

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you recommend using the Nationality Checking System for the naturalisation application? Also, how long does it take on average to finish the process of naturalising? Thank you very much.

Your original questions have been answered. Please leave feedback