Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am researching into my Moroccan friend coming to stay with

I am researching into my Moroccan friend coming to stay with me in Scotland for a long term stay. I have been on the UK government web site but find it all very complicated. Can you advise me of the best route to take as I did not realise how difficult immigration for foreigners has become now. I am a Uk resident in full time employment and have my own accommodation so would be able to support my friend.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Would your friend wish to stay here permanently?
What would they do? Work? Study?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

In answer to your question, yes my friend would like to stay permanently and work but I know this could be tricky as I know the UK government want skilled workers. My friend can speak Arabic and French fluently, Spanish and English also but not as fluent as the first two languages.

My friends job in Morocco is as a hotel restaurant manager and has a Diploma in Tourism if that helps.

I do realise that to stay long term and work may not be possible because of the new government rules, so just need to know best options of visa.

Tracy Bartlett

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tracy
I will be able to answer at 9am.
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If your friend wishes to work in the UK and is not in a relationship with any UK citizen, foreign national holding ILR in the UK or EEA citizen then the options are limited.
I presume that your friend does not have access to £200, 000.00 for the purpose of investing in a UK business and so does not therefore qualify for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.
This means that he would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that he could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/308513/shortageoccupationlistapril14.pdf
If a job that he could do is not on this list then this means that the employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the home office that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform the role,.
He would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility
If this visa is not a possibility because it process too difficult for him to get then he is stuck with applying for visitor’s visas, which he is not permitted to work on unfortunately.
Regrettably, there is no option for you to sponsor them as a friend in order to come to the UK and work.
I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom