Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hi Thomas, my housekeeper is from the Philippines and has overstayed

Hi Thomas, my housekeeper is from the Philippines and has overstayed her visa for 12 years... In September 2012 she applied for indefinite leave to remain but has not heard from the Home Office since. SHe is not married or have any children, but have a close sister with family and children who are all British Citizens. Is there anything that could be done here you think? Many thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Although unmarried, is he in a relationship with any body and, if so, what is their nationality and visa status in the UK?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom, she is not in a relationship. Many thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
TOm
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
If she applied for long residence but submitted her application after 9th July 2012, then unfortunately it will be judged under the new rules. Before 9th July 2012, she would have to have shown that she had been in the UK for 14 years. Unfortunately, after 9th July 2012 a person is now required to show that they have been in the UK for 20 years.
If she is not in a relationship with any person and has no children in the UK, and is also an adult who is able to look after herself then i cannot see a way that she can secure her leave to remain.
I don't really know what has happened with her application, she should have heard something about it long ago and although she can instruct a solicitor to chase it up I would not be optimistic that she would be successful, despite her sister having UK citizenship.
I am sorry.
Kind regards,
Tom