Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I currently have a spousal visa which ends in August 2015.

I currently have a spousal visa which ends in August 2015. I will have to apply for another 2 1/2 year spousal visa at that time. I was in a very difficult situation last year where I was charged with common assault. I'm fearful that this charge will keep me from being granted my new visa even though I am married to a British citizen. Can they refuse me on the basis of the one thing I have on my criminal record?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Have you been advised of the likely sentence you will received if you are convicted?
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to respond to the above post in order that I may provide you with an answer please?
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was given a fine and that's all.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you only receive a fine for the offence which you have paid and you are only applying for leave to remain, then you will still be okay. You would not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain, because the rules are slightly different if you are simply extending your visa.
However, you will obviously have to disclose the offence and I would strongly suggest that you write a statement mitigating your behaviour by explaining what happened with the incident. You may also consider getting a couple of people who are professional persons of authority to give you character references stating that this was out of character for you and that you are otherwise of good character. If you do this then you should be fine
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom