UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have completed ten years legally in the uk,but I once left

Customer Question

I have completed ten years legally in the uk,but I once left when I was refused an extension but I came back within 2 months, can I apply for the ILR visa /
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello,In my opinion, you do not have continuous 10 years lawful residence in the UK due to the fact that you did not have valid leave to remain in the UK when you left the UK. You applied for entry clearance and returned back to the UK with new entry clearance which reset your clock as you had a gap between the time your extension application was turned down and the time when you were granted new entry clearance.See this internal guidance document:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/364734/Long_Residence_v12.0_EXT.pdfHowever, you may still lodge an application and hope that discretion is exercised if you can show that you meet all other requirements and have strong ties to the UK. May I help further?