UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Am I eligible for a British passport?

I was born in Australia in 1956, to an English mother who was married to my Australian father - am I eligible for a British passport?

(I am also married to a British passport holder living in Australia)

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
If your mother was born in the UK, yes you are a British Citizen by decent and eligible for a a British Passport.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is what it says in the documents table re what to provide for the application

Born before 1 January 1983 • your father’s full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
• his marriage certificate to your mother.
Born on or after 1 January
1983
• one of your parents’ full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
• if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).

Does this mean I am unable to apply as I was born in 1956 and only my Mother was British or is this waived due to discrimination?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually don't worry - I have worked it out by researching further

Thanks for the previous help