Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hi, Last 10 years i did signed for mobile phone contract and

Last 10 years i did signed for mobile phone contract and did not complete the 2 years contract duration.I took along the mobile phone with me.Am i going to have any problem at the immigration should i come back to UK?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
What do you mean that you did not complete the 2 year contract? Did you simply stop paying the contract fees?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,i stop paying as i went back to my home country for good.I was a student during that time.Next week i plan to come back to UK for attending work related course.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The application form for visitor’s visas only asks about criminal convictions. The mobile phone debt is a civil matter, not a criminal one. So it would not result in your receiving a criminal conviction. Therefore, you can honestly answer no to this question (as regards ***** ***** phone debt).
It’s possible that you may have a civil judgement against you for the debt. This is a money judgement at county court which states that you owe a debt. Sometimes they check this, seomtimes they don’t.
Basically, I would carry out a credit check on yourself as to credit in the UK. If there is a no debt and county court judgement then I would apply and not mention it.
If there is a judgement against you then you may consider paying the debt off and getting confirmation from the debtor that it has been paid and then apply disclosing the debt, stating that you knew nothing about it but when you found out you immediately paid it. Hopefully, you will then be okay, or at least you will be a lot better placed than if you applied having the judgement without doing anything about it.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the clear explanation,i am
Satisfied with it.Just another question on your answer,what do you mean by
Sometime they check,sometimes they dont.Is they referring to the immigration officer?
I did communicate with the mobile phone operator just now but they can't give me the exact and definite respond because in order to retrace my account they require my mobile phone number or account number which i already forgotten and lost the record on it.i am willing to pay the debt through internet banking from here actually rather than being detained at the immigration check point on the arrival.
What is your personal opinion?should i go to UK or just cancel the course?
Thank you Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
hi,
I mean that the immigration officer who decides your visa application might check, or they might not.
I cannot really comment on whether you should cancel the course. If it costs you money then it is for you to decide whether or not it's worth the risk.
If you apply for a visa in advance of your travel and it is granted (ie because they either don't know or don't care about the debt) then you won't be detained when you attempt to enter the country.
Tom
Tom