Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

how do i apply for British passport

how do i apply for British passport
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
What nationality are you at the moment please?
Where are you?
Do you consider that you are eligible for UK citizenship or to naturalise as a UK citizen?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thomas

I am from Barbados WI,

I live in London, i have a Barbados passport, with my given leave indefinite stamp. I think naturalise.

Elaine

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Elaine,
Okay.
When did your received your indefinite leave to remain stamp please? Did you receive it more than 12 months ago?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thomas

I have lived in the UK for almost 50 years, (8 years old) I was adopted my step mum & dad had British passports, before retiring back to Barbados many years ago.

Barbados is a commonwealth country, I have the old stamp, but because I have always had a Barbadian passport, with no bother, hence why i have never applied. I need to know more or less with one i am suppose to apply for.

Elaine

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Elaine,
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you are a Barbadian citizen then you would have to naturalise first to become a UK citizen. Thereafter you can apply for a UK passport.
You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.
You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/how-to-apply
Once you have naturalised you will receive a certificate of naturalisation, which you can then use in order to obtain a UK passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom