UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I just gave notice for a marriage been me an EU national

I just gave notice for a marriage been me an EU national and a Japanese national. I was warn that the UKBA might come in at the day of the weeding and shut it down. Can they do this? If yes what would be my defence, since I'm not doing nothing ilegal or wrong.
Also, for the applying for the partner EU visa from within the UK (at the moment she is with tier 5 visa that expires on end of March and the weeding is at the beginning of February), should I expect it to take more than this time? If yes, what can I do in order for she to stay with me in the UK until she gets the new visa done. Also if it gets rejected is there anything I can do?
Lastly, should I get legal help or is it possible to get all the paperwork for the visa done without legal help?
Thanks!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
If you are exercising treaty rights in the UK and your marriage is genuine and not for convenience, you should not have any problem with the UK immigration authorities.
The reason why you were warned that officials may stop the marriage is because it is very close to your partner's visa expiry in March and they may feel that you are simply getting married for immigration purposes.
Once you get married and you are exercising treaty rights, your partner will have automatic residence rights in the UK and the residence card application will be a mere formality and not even necessary but it is advisable to prove their entitlement to reside in the UK. The application is straightforward and may be done without legal help.
May I help further?