UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My husband and I recently obtained ILR (5 years Tier 2 visa)

Customer Question

My husband and I recently obtained ILR (5 years Tier 2 visa) and then applied for our child to Register as British. Home Office said 6-8 months wait so, as my son still had his PBS Dependant visa with a few years validity left, we went ahead and made plans to travel.
Now his British Citizenship has been granted much earlier than advised but we don't have time for him to apply for a British passport.
Can he travel on his PBS Dependant visa?
thANKS
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he may travel using the PBS dependant visa but I would advise you to carry a copy of his British Citizenship registration certificate to prove his British citizenship when coming back to the UK in case you are asked about this at the UK border.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had hoped for a more detailed response - perhaps including relevant Home Office Guidance or legal reference to the validity of someone's leave to remain once they'd been granted British citizenship

A British Citizen is not subject to UK immigration control so technically the limited leave to remain becomes invalid. However, for practical purposes, there is no UK rule which says you cannot travel on limited leave to remain in and out of the UK once you have British Citizenship.

Hope this clarifies