Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have Tire 4 Visa for study in the UK for 4 years. Is it possible

Customer Question

I have Tire 4 Visa for study in the UK for 4 years. Is it possible to request for UK Naturalisation or permanent residency?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
When did you enter the uk please?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been here in the UK from OCT 2013

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
In order for any person to naruralise they must first have indefinite leave to remain.
Tier 4 student visas do not have any automatic right to indefinite leave to remain. This means that they only way that any time spent on a Tier 4 visa is permitted to count towards ILR is if you apply on basis of long residency, for which the required residence period of leave to remain is ten years.
This means that you would not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain at the end of your current visa and would have to switch to another form of visa which either gives you the right to apply for ILR after you have been on the new visa for a period of time (usually 5 years) OR to use the time on the new visa to get closer to the ten years require in order to apply for ILR under long residence.
I am sorry that I could not have better news for you
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom