Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I came to UK last year (August 2013)under the gateway program

I came to UK last year (August 2013)under the gateway program and I got directly the Indefinite Leave to Remain. I complete it now one year and 3months. My questions are the following:
1- when can I apply for the Citizenship?
2- how many months I can travel/stay out side UK?
am 41 years old, I don't have criminal record.
Talia
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Talia, Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I assume that you are not married to a UK citizen.
Therefore, the earliest that you could have applied is August 2014. So provided you meet the other eligibility criteria you can apply now.
In terms of time outside the UK, in the 5 years previous to the date that you apply for naturalisation
• spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
• spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months on the date that you submit your naturalisation application
If you meet these two requirements as to days outside the UK then you are fine as far as the residence requirements are concerned.
Once you have your UK passport after you have naturalised and used your Certificate of naturalisation to get your passport you can stay as many times as you like outside the UK because you will be a UK citizen.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Tom,

so I can get the UK Citizenship now ! I have been in this country only 15 months, under Indefinite Leave to Remain. no need to wait another4 years and then apply?!

Yes am not married to a UK citizen.

Talia

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Talia,
No, sorry. I think I must have misread your initial question about the date that you entered the UK.
If you entered in only August 2013 then you would need to wait until you have spent 5 years in the UK. So, you would only be able apply in August 2018..
Sorry, I think I must have read that you simply got ILR in 2013 rather than also entering at this time.
Kind regards,
Tom