Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hi , I am on a tier 2 visa in the UK Can i change employer

Hi , I am on a tier 2 visa in the UK Can i change employer and still qualify for residency after 5 years? ie if i change employer do i start the clock again for permanent residency

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Would your new employer sponsor you under your tier 2 visa?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience. I will answer at 9am.
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Provided that your new employer will sponsor you for Tier 2 purpose and you still meet the eligibility critieria then you will still be able to apply for ILR after 5 years.
However, you will obviously have to apply to switch sponsor to your new employer but if you do this and it is approved then your residency period is maintain and you can apply for ILR after 5 years since you arrived and started working on your original tier 2 general sponsored visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom