UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

long term residence

Hi, I'm a Singaporean doctor who's been in the UK for more than 10 years, and am currently on a tier 4 visa. I've been told I'm eligible for to apply for specialist training, which I have done, but the interview dates, unfortunately, have been scheduled after the expiry of my visa. Hence, is there any way to extend my visa by 1-2mths just to cover my interview dates? I know it's possible to apply for long term residence, but I've exceeded the number of days allowed out of country (900 days), hence chances of succeeding is quite low, is that right or would it be possible to extend my visa anyway, and would it continue to be tier 4 or a different category altogether? Thanks!

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Have you has continuous visas during your 10 years stay in the UK and how many days have you been out of the UK and why were you out? Have you been out for 6 months or longer at a stretch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've never been out for 6 months or longer at a stretch, and it was mainly because of summer vacation all the way from A levels, where there were no accommodation, to university, when my grandparents' health were failing. And yes, it was continuous visa throughout the 10 years.

How long have you been away in the 10 years in total?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approximately 900- 1000 days, and it was mostly for important occasions such as chinese new year besides summer and annual vacation.

You are fine to apply for indefinite leave to remain under r long residence rules. You should not count the days you were flying out of the UK and when you flew back.There is discretion as far as days out of the UK are concerned and I would advise you to go ahead and apply without any delay, see here for the application form:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/380484/SET_LR__form_12-14.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! I will definitely rate the conversation, but just to clarify, in your opinion, will the number of days not matter in this case?