Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hello, I am on discretionary leave to remain here in the

Customer Question

I am on discretionary leave to remain here in the uk. I have just applied for an extension for another 3 years, i am still waiting on that. i would like my friend to come and visit me from mauritius. I will be sending her an invitation letter. i will be supporting her during her stay as i work and we will be staying in a hotel and visiting london. She will be here for 3 weeks only as holiday. Will she get any problems at the immigration border at lHR?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.
If she is successful in obtaining a visa then she won't face any problems at the border when she arrives.
I would caution that I would wait until your applicaiton is determined before she applies. This is because I would suggest that you attend a local UK solicitor about drafting a Sponsorship Declaration in which you state that you will support/accomodate her during her stay. If you application has not yet been determined then - at the moment - it is unclear whether you could support/accomodate her because you obviously need leave to remain yourself in order to do this. Once you have obtained your further leave to remain as a result of your application being determined then this problem falls away. This is why I would postpone the application until you get leave to remain.
In summary though, if she does get her visa then she should not face any problems actually entering the country provided that she does actually arrive when she says she will arrive.
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As she is coming from Mauritius, she doesn't need a visa as it's a commonwealth country. Can another one of my friend write the invitation letter for her?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Yes, one of your friends can do that if they are willing to. Though I would still suggest that they do this in the form of a sponsorship declaration.
It is very important that your friend corroborates what invitation letter she has if she is asked any questions.
I would also suggest that she carries proof of the money that she has available to meet the costs of her stay and also that the friend is at the airport in order to assist her in verifying that she is there to see them if any questions are asked.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My friend is willing to do this for me. What do you mean sponsorship declaration. She doesn't need to apply for a visa in mauritius, it will just be an entry visa.

2) It is very important that your friend corroborates what invitation letter she has if she is asked any questions. -- What does this mean please?

3) she will have cash on her and the hotel is booked in hers and my name.

Will the UK border ask her how she knows the guy and other questions that may arise?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
As a Mauritian citizen she does not need to apply for a visa before she travels.
However, the border control officiers can still refuse entry if they think she will breach the immigration rules by working or attempting to stay permanently.
This is why a sponsorship declaration may help in getting around any suspicisions that the officers have. If your friend gives this declaration then she will have to say that she is visiting your friend and not you if she is asked by the entry officers. This is what I mean by corroborating the invitation letter or sponsorship declaration.
I would book the hotel in her sole name if your friend is giving the declarattion. If it is booked in your joint names and your other friend gives the declaration then they will definately be suspicious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If my friend gives out the sponsorship declaration, would it make it easy for her to enter the UK? She doesn't actually know the sponsor but she has spoken to the sponsor on the phone. She will also have return tickets with her. What needs to be written on the declaration document?

If she says she is visiting my friend(sponsor) then would they not ask anymore questions? My friend(sponsor) is a Polish National with an EU Passport.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
It would help her if they asked questions, yes, but if she does not know the sponsor then you should give the declaration rather than the friend. For this purpose I would wait until your application is decided ideally, but it can help (a bit) if you were to give it to her before your application is determined (it's just not ideal).
A solicitor will draft the sponsorship declaration for you. It should cost around £50 + VAT.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom
Kind regards,
Tom