Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am on a tier 2 dependent visa which is valid till 2017. my husband is on tier 2 intra co

Customer Question

I am on a tier 2 dependent visa which is valid till 2017. my husband is on tier 2 intra co transfer visa.now his project is completed and he will be going from uk.will i be eligible to stay here and work
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Do you mean that your husband will shortly leave the united kingdom and return home to live there?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
I am afraid that your visa and right to remain in the united kingdom is inherently linked to your husband being here. Your dependent visa means that you can stay in the united kingdom within the visa period provided that your husband remains in the united kingdom on his visa.
If your husband were to leave the united kingdom then your would either have to go with him or apply to switch into another visa category which is not dependent on your husband and which you hold in your independent personal capacity.
People in such situations who wish to stay in the united kingdom usually apply for a tier 2 general visa or if they have above £200000 apply for a tier 1 entrepreneur visa.
However if you wish to study as your principal reason for staying in the united kingdom then you can apply for a tier 4 student visa.
If your husband leaves united kingdom then once the home office became aware thrn they will write to you and curtail your visa requiring you too either switch to another visa category or to leave united kingdom.
I am sorry that i could not have better news for you.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for the reply

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome..
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much can be the fees for applying for a tier 4 student visa?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I am really sorry but because of the frankly ridiculous and negligent reorganisation the governmental website for this visa application I cannot confirm absolutely.
The website is an utter disgrace but I believe the fee will be somewhere in the region of £300 to £400 for you to switch into this visa.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you suggest me to apply for a tier 4 visa ,while I am staying in uk or go back to home and apply for it ? which can be a better option?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
It's entirely up to you.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I apply for a tier 4 visa for 1 year and study and stay in uk for 2015 , will my dependent visa be active automatically from 2016, (as it is as of now valid till 2017)

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I will answer as 9 am.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for reading the qs and working on that

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If you apply for a tier 4 visa on your own (ie not as a dependent) then you will get a completely new visa. Your old dependent visa would be curtailed and your new visa would be active.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will it be possible to apply for the tier 4 visa as a dependent? Can you pls suggest me how to do that

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You can only apply as a dependent if your husband applies for a tier 4 visa as a main applicant, which obviously won't be possible if he's leaving the uk.