Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

My friend is a UK national and his wife is American. They married

My friend is a UK national and his wife is American. They married in the states in September because she couldn't stay in the UK on a fiancee visa.
They have little money and she desperately wants to join him here. The forms are horrendous and seem conflicting and they don't know where to turn next.
Can you tell me exactly which form they should complete. The wife is doing this from America, but they are not certain it's right and can only afford to do this once.
Category: Immigration Law
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The process is set out here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa
Assuming that the wife is a native English speaker - or is fluent in English - the only possible hurdle is the Financial requirement that the husband earns more than £18,400 a year and is able to prove this.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need more specific details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, many thanks. The husband meets the financial requirement but one of the questions on the form asks the wife if she has applied before - which she hasn't as a wife, but has as a fiancee when she was here. Is it best to put no - or yes with a supplementary note? Is the DIY route ever successful as they cannot afford to hire a lawyer (hence me doing this for them on the quiet!)?

Put yes with that explanation.
Many people do it themselves successfully!