Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have indefinit leave to enter the u.k got it in dec.2010

Customer Question

I have indefinit leave to enter the u.k got it in dec.2010 for 5year my passport going to expired in march.my new passport is not ready for me to send my application form to home office.what should I do ?wait for my passport which i dont know when it will be ready.stay with expired passport.or apply for biometric resident permit send a form without passport.please help me.I am so confused
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Do you hold your original expired passport with ILR in it? ie. you have not sent it with your renewal passport application?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have it will expired in march 2015.got uk clearancy visa.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I didn't I got it with me my old passport with visa on.yes.I send only a copy to them.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You should apply for a new passport first and then once you have received your new passport then apply to transfer your ILR from your old passport to a new Biometric Residence Permit.
Obviously, you need your old passport with your until you get your new passport, because this is proof of your ILR. This means that you must ensure you can apply for your new passport without sending off your old passport.
If your new passport application requires sight of your old passport then I would ask the passport authority of your country if you can send a certified copy of your old passport certified by a UK solicitor as being a true copy of the original. You can obtain a certified copy of your passport for abou £5 from any local solicitor.
Once you have your new passport you can send this with your old passport to apply to have your ILR transferred to a biometric residence permit noting your indefinite leave to remain status.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How could I stay in work with expired passport they will send me off work .and I can't claim any benefit without a valid document like proof of I.d

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If your employer does not realise that your passport has expired then they would not find out so you should be fine. You still have the right to work in the UK because you have ILR.
Either way, the solution is that you need to apply for your new passport now and the immediately apply for a BRP as soon as you have your new passport.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I applied for a new passport on 7.0ctober.2014.send it to the ambassy in london.and still no reply rang few times now they dont care.my old passport will be expired soon in march 2015

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid that all you can do is keep trying your embassy. Some country's embassy's are more responsive than others..
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks any way so you mean I can claim benefit with expired passport to

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Claiming benefits might be a bit more difficult but there is nothing to stop you trying..
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am I still got 7 day to ask you questions for free?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Only if they are direct follow up issues relating to the above..
TOm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help I will be in touch if there is any change.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help I will be in touch if there is any change. Do you help with application too

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you mean I cannot send any application to home office without new passport????

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Correct. You must wait.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.thanks again.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.