Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have a US passport and have just obtained UK citizenship.

Customer Question

I have a US passport and have just obtained UK citizenship. Do I need to submit my US passport when I apply UK passport?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
,
Do you mean that you have just naturalised as a UK citizen and have obtained your certificate of naturalisation?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

correct. had indefinite leave after 4 years of work permit then naturalized

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Yes, you will have to send any un-cancelled passports that relate to you. So, if you hold a valid US passport then you will have to send this with your application.
Please find confirmation of this on the following link, which is the guidance to completing a passport application:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf
Please turn to the Table of Supporting Documents at Page 12. Your passport type is the last type contained in section 2. You will see that there is a green tick under the column titled “Any other uncancelled passports relating to you)”. This means that you have to enclose the passport.
I would suggest that you should strongly consider taking your passport and any other documents you are sending which you consider important to a UK solicitor and ask them to provide you with certified copies of them. It should be relatively cheap (a copy of just one would be £7) and they will be invaluable in the unlikely scenario where your documentation were lost in transit.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom