UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My father was born in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1915 and mother

My father was born in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1915 and mother was born in Ceylon in 1928, both before the independence from British rule. I got my permanent residence in the UK (ILR) in March 2014. Can I apply without going through the naturalisation process
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
,

Where were you born?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was also born in the same country (now Sri Lanka) in 1959. My point was my father was born in a British Colony and I came to UK in May 2009 with my family (Wife and two children born in Sri Lanka in 1958, 1991 and 1997 respectively). All of us got Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK in March 2014. Three of us have also passed the LIUK test and IELTS when we applied . Thanks

I am afraid you will have to go through the naturalisation process which should be straightforward as you have recently acquired ILR. You may apply on the first anniversary of the date you received ILR. Once you receive your approval and take the swearing ceremony oath, you may apply British passport.
Hope this helps