UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a Canadian citizen and I have a dear friend in the UK

I am a Canadian citizen and I have a dear friend in the UK (a UK citizen) who has just told me he wishes to leave me a substantial part of his assets to me in his will, which he is about to have drawn up soon.
He is concerned that he will not be allowed to do this because I am not a UK citizen. What are the laws governing this situation?
Many thanks, Natalie (Ontario, Canada)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Natalie,
The good news is that your nationality has absolutely no implication on your friend naming you in his Will.
You are treated the same was as a UK citizen purpose and the law treats you the same way as it treats a UK national named in a Will.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

UK Solicitor JA,

Thank you help with my first question. Would there be any punitive taxes on either the UK or the Canadian side if I were to try to move the inherited UK assets to a Canadian bank account?

Thanks, Natalie

Natalie,
You need to check with a local Canadian lawyer about Canadian taxes but as far as UK inheritance tax is concerned, this would normally be payable by the estate of your friend, not you.
All the best, ***** ***** to leave a review so that I am credited time.