Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My friend who comes from Maritous came to UK 18 years ago on

My friend who comes from Maritous came to UK 18 years ago on a 6 months visitors visa.
She has continiusely has stayed in UK without renewing her visa ,how can she get a permininant residency or something similar so she can get a passport ,she has worked in UK and has paid taxes and national insurance least 10 years ,she is 38 years now
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
,
Thanks question.
Is your friend a Mauritian citizen?
Is she in a relationship with anyone and, if so, what is their
immigration status in the UK
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Tom
Yes she is Mauritian
She has been in relationship few months with a British citizen
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If a person has been in the UK illegally years and can prove this with documentary evidence then they can apply leave to remain. Therefore, if she can remain the UK 2 years presumably she could apply and should be mindful to collect documentary eviedence purpose.
It’s a difficult application and she should instruct a solicitor to prepare the application/evidence .
Once she has ILR she will have to remain in the UK further 5 years before becoming eligible as a UK citizen:
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
Obviously, if she is detained in the meantime then she could risk being deported and if she were before she reached the 20 years then she would be stuck, unless she and her UK citizen boyfriend were to marry and then apply spouse visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom