Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My wife is a Ukrainian citizen with a permanent riight to

Customer Question

My wife is a Ukrainian citizen with a permanent riight to stay in the UK.
I am a British national.
In December 2014 we were able to invite my wife's son [ 28 yrs ] to stay on a family visitors visa for six months.
This will expire in May2015.
Can he apply for an extension or further visa from inside this country, or does he have to return to the Ukraine and reapply.On the same note can he change to a study or work visa on the same basis?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I am afraid that there is no right to extend a visit visa (family or otherwise) and there is also no right to switch to another visa.
This is because all visit visas are subject to the requirement that the visitor must leave the UK before the expiry of the visa. This is taken to mean that they cannot switch to another form of visa and also cannot extent their visa.
If they attempted to do either then they would be immediately refused and the act of applying may be regarded as a breach of the conditions attached to his visit visa. It would not be in his interest to attempt to apply, basically.
The only time that an extension is considered is where it would prejudice the applicant’s health if they were to be required to leave the UK, which I assume does not apply here.
So, if he wishes to apply for a student/work visa then he will have to leave the UK unfortunately.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Tom

ivor

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ivor,
You're welcome.
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Kind regards,
Tom