Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

, I need some answers of my friend. He is a non eu

Customer Question

Hi, I need some answers for one of my friend. He is a non eu family member of EEA national.
He start living with his unmarried eea partner ( self employed )from March 2010. He got a letter stated he can work if he want in October 2012, but got residence card in February 2013 for 5 years. When he can apply for permanent residence?
Can he travel outside of UK and come back without any trouble, as he is not working this time? (But eea national is working as she is self employed)
Can he apply a eea resident visa for his single parent non eu mother , to bring his mother to the UK? ( what docs will required )?
Thanks in advance
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Did the relationship only start in march 2010?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Have they ever married?
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
If they have never married in the safest and most uncontroversial thing to do would be for them to apply for permanent residence 5 years after he received is residence card in february 2013. Obviously he must have a residence period of 5 years which means that the safest thing to do would be to apply in march 2018 for permanent residence.
I cannot comment on the letter he received in 2012, but if this clearly states that they accept he is an unmarried partner of an eea national then he could apply for permanent residence a little earlier in october 2017.
He today only apply for his parents to come here if his parents were dependent on him either financially or emotionally and he would also have to wait until he has permanent residence.
Kind regards.
Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it mean that he can't bring his non eu mother to UK until he gets pr?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But you didn't answered all of my questions
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. For the purpose of travelling abroad is still a foreign national. This means that he will have to check the particular country which he wants to travel to to see he has to apply for a visa giving his particular nationality.

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Imran any trouble in going out and coming back to UK , I'm not asking about visas.
Please answer my last question for bringing non eu mother to UK as you still ignoring this question
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
If they person has a residence card then they will have no trouble coming back in to the UK provided that the residence card has not expired.
Sorry, having just rechecked the rules, because they are not married the mother would not be able to apply for an EEA family permit. However, if they were to marry then the parent could apply for a family permit to come to the UK if they were dependent on him. (ie. your friend who has a residence card at the moment).
Kind regards,
Tom