How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Good evening, my name is ***** ***** 45years old Italian resident

Resolved Question:

Good evening,
my name is ***** ***** 45years old Italian resident in London since 2001.
I have started to work full time since I moved in London with my daughter which at that time was only 5 years old. I bought my own house in 2003.
I have met my actual boyfriend in Rome (actually we have been friends for more then 15 years!) when we found both divorced one year ago.
Now.. the problem is that he was born in Rio de Janeiro and he has Brazilian nationality, even if both of his grand grand mothers were Italian.
His ex wife and the 2 younger children live in Rio, the oldest daughter lives in Rome.
He has been in this year here in UK at my house 3 times for maximum 3 months each time coming as tourist.
This time is coming for 5 months.
We are going to get married hopefully before the end of this year but I need to precise that having our families in 3 different countries, we are not planning to stay in UK but very possibly we will move to Rio or Rome.
My question is : is he in need to provide any documentation or request a special Visa to be with me those 5 months ?
What shall I write in the invitation letter that he can show going through the airport checks if the Customs officer will ask him questions ?
Please help me because I don't know to ask this information to !
My email is *****@******.***
Thank you in advance
kindest regards
The question now is
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Do you intend to marry during his visit to the united kingdom?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


my boyfriend is coming end of March and he will go to see his family in Rio in August.

We would like to get married in Rome where all my family lives and his older daughter too

so we will have to arrange for his 2 other children to come to Rome to be at our wedding.

We do not have any problem in Italy, my boyfriend has a permanent visa.

I don't think we will manage to get married by august unless this will make our life easier in London because of the immigration law and so.

Sorry I know is complicated, hope you can help



Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Emma
Thanks for your patience.
As a Brazillian citizen, he can attempt to enter the UK without applying for a visa beforehand. When he arrives at the airport in these circumstance he would normally be granted 6 months leave to remain for the purpose of a visit.
However, although this is generally the case this right is technically discretionary which means that the entry officers can refuse entry if they consider that it is possible that a breach of the immigration rules will occur. So, if they are aware that you are in a relationship with him then it makes it a bit more likely that he may be refused entry.
If you want to be certain then I would suggest that he applies for a visit visa before he travels. If you will support/accomodate him during his stay then I would attend a local solicitor and ask them to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state that you will pay the cost of any unforseen expenses that should occur during his stay. You would also confirm and clarfy your plans, expressing that under no circumstances do you each intend to remain the UK and that he will leave before the expiry of visa. You would also enclose documentation proving your ability to support/accomodate him (eg evidence of property ownership and the money you have available.
Provided that he gets his visa beforehand then he will almost certainly be granted entry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions