Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Can I get the British Citizenship without going test

Can I get the British Citizenship without going for the test ?
What means naturalize ?
I am Italian and I live and I am resident in London since 2001.
I have worked full time since I moved in London without any gap.
Please let me know
Emma
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Have you applied for permanent residence yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have changed my recidence with my country, in fact my passport states I am resident in London.

I was been told that I didn't need to do anything in here because I am European, so I think I never filled a form to apply for permanent residence..

how shall I check for this ?

which office look after this matter ?

thanks

Emma

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Emma,
Thanks for your patience.
It's a bit difficult to understand but basically you would be regarded as already having permanent residence in the UK if you have been here for 5 years+ exercising your EEA treaty rights by working. However, it would not actually be listed anywhere by the home office.
So, in order to confirm the PR you would have to apply for confirmation. Here is the link for how you can apply:-
https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate
Please see "Getting Permanent Residence" at the bottom of the above page. Once you have confirmation of PR you can apply to naturalise (ie. become a UK citizen) 12 months after provided that you meet the criteria on the following page:-
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
This would include passing the life in the UK test. Once you have obtained naturalisation you will receive a certification and can then complete the citizenship ceremoney (quite short, only 20 mins) and then you would be a UK citizen and can therefore apply for a UK passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks to you Thomas, it is more clear to me what I need to do.

Seems I will have to pass the life in UK test anyway, is it very expensive ?

At this point, considering the other question you kindly replied about getting married more likely next year, and the issue we could face now as my boyfriend will enter at the airport, maybe is better if I don't request the citizenship...

otherwise they may think I want to stay in UK with my future husband without his VISA yet..

sorry I am confusing you ??

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Citizenship does not really make a difference to your fiance's ability to enter the UK.
The life in the UK test costs only £50 but the application fee for naturalisation is £906.
Kind regards,
Tom