UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I APPLIED BRITISH PASSPORT IN OCTOBER 2013. I RECIEVE

Customer Question

I APPLIED FOR A BRITISH PASSPORT IN OCTOBER 2013. I RECIEVE A LETTER FROM DX THAT THEY DO HAVE SOME VITAL DOCUMENTS THAT NEEDS A SIGNATURE AND IN THAT LETTER IT STATE BRITISH PASSPORT AND THEY ALSO BEEN TRYING TO DELIEVER MY SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS. AND ME THINKING THAT BRITISH PASSPORT IS HERE AND NOT KNOWING ALL I AM GETTING IS A LETTER SAYING THAT THEY COULD NOT ISSUE ME A BRITISH PASSPORT AT THE MOMENT BASE ON THEY COULD NOT FIND MY PARENT MARRIAGE RECORD AND THEY ALSO COULD NOT FIND MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE RECORD AND I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE DECISION AND I SPOKE TO MY PARENTS ABOUT IT AND THEY THINK THE DECISION IS WAY TO ARSH AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO FROM THIS POINT
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

Where were you born and where were your parents born? Are your parents married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was born in nigeria and my parents are born in Nigeria and yes my parents are married

On what basis are you applying for a British Passport? Are you a British Citizen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am applying for a british base on my father as a british citizen

Have you been registered or naturalised as British? How did your father become a British Citizen? Are your parents married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My father became a british citizen by naturalization and my parents are still married, i have not been naturalised yet

It appears that you are a British Citizen by descent through your father. You do notneed to apply for naturalisation or registration as a British Citizen.

You should provide the documents asked i.e. your birth record/certificate and your parents marriage certificate and you would then be issued with a British passport if those are the only 2 documents they have asked for.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did provide the documents which they ask for, they came back to me that they could not find my parents marriage certificate record at the nigeria marriage registry and they could not find my birth records. in regards ***** ***** parents marriage certificate the registrar that wed them at time exist but there could not find a copy of the data and yesterday i was just been told that the registry got divided and could be in this process that some records went missing. when i spoke to my case worker and he said to me that i can reply again but i will need to provide further documentation and in regards ***** ***** what are this further documentation that i need to provide. what are the steps to take as my parents are ready to take the matter further to make sure everything is been sorted out.

Your parents may make a statutory declaration that they are married and give details of when and where they got married and that they are your parents and give details of your place and date of birth.

If in the UK, a solicitor would be able to assist with the statutory declaration.

You may also make a separate statutory declaration about when and where you were born.

Your parents may also try and ensure that the marriage and your birth records are in order at the registry in Nigeria and if possible, get letters from the local registrars attesting to the same.

Due to fraudulent applications, the Passport authorities need to make sure that whatever records are provided to them are true.

All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much so after all this has been done then i can reply for the british passport and everything will be fine?

Yes, you should be fine.

All the best and please remember to leave feedback