Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have a refugee status 5 years leave to remain. I was

Customer Question

I have a refugee status 5 years leave to remain. I was declared an illegal entrant when I claimed asylum and my visit visa was cancelled. Is it really that I can not apply for british citizenship unless 10 years have passes since my entry? I heard this a new regulation came into force in 2015 could you please explain to me if this is true?.  Just to explain that I was granted in 2012 and I was told at that time that I can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years and then british citizenship after one year. please explain to me the situation right now and when can I apply for the citizenship?

Category: Immigration Law