Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My friend is a British citizen, and has 2 children also british

My friend is a British citizen, and has 2 children also british his wife is Libyan is it possible to get a passport for her
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Are they all in the UK?
If so how long have they been in the UK?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have all been in and out of the UK regularly, and stay here with me when here

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
When she has come to the UK previously has she simply entered on a visit visa?
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes always on a Visitor Visa

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If she has no period of residence in the UK other than the visit then she does not qualify for a UK passport.
In order to obtain a UK passport, they would have to relocate and settle in the UK. Before they returned she would have to apply for and obtain a spouse visa. This would allow her to travel to the UK with the family in order to settle here. Obviously, if she got the spouse visa she would be allowed to work in the.
The visa would be granted for 27 months initially. Just before the expiry of this visa she would have to apply for an extension of the spouse visa. She would get a further 24 months and this would take her total period of residence in the UK up to 5 years. Just before she reaches 5 years she can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, which is the right to stay permanently in the UK.
Once she has obtained Indefinite leave to remain she can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided that she meets the requirements on the following page:
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen
Once she has natuarlised she will attend a citizenship ceremony and receive her certification of naturalisation. She can then use the Certificate to apply for a UK passport.
There is no other way of getting UK citizenship other than to above for her I’m afraid.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom