Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

there, My situation is a complex one, or at least it

Customer Question

Hi there, My situation is a complex one, or at least it seems that way at the moment. I am a British Citizen, was born and England and i am still living and working here. Almost 7 years ago i had a son with my American girlfriend, who was born in the US. My son will be 7 in July and he and his mother (Who is American) want to come and be with me in the UK on a permanent basis. His mother was married and is now separated, but has to wait 12 months due to Maryland law, before she can get divorced. We have always been best friends and due to the fact that we were so young when we had our son we decided it was too difficult to persue our relationship. We really want to be together as a family and would like to be married in the future and live here in the UK. Ideally she is wanting to come out here as soon as possible, hopefully June time, and i am trying to understand if it will be possible and what we need to do to make it happen. I am wondering whether she would be eligible to apply for a family settlement visa to be able to live with me for longer than the 6 months tourist visa. Or does the fact the we are not married mean that we are not technically family? Even though we have a child together? Ideally she would like to work while she is here. I myself meet the income requirements to be able to support them. The family settlement option seems to allow her to be able to work. The other option i looked at was the unmarried partner visa ... but you have to show that your previous relationship has ended (does separation count or would the divorce have to be finalised?). The problem with this visa is that it doesn't look like she could work. The other area i need help with, is the issue of dual citizenship for our son. He was born in the US but i know he can apply for dual citizenship. Is it easy to get this for him or is it complicated and expensive? If he was granted dual citizenship would he be able to attend public schools or would he still need to attend a private school? Any guidance you can give on whether this is even possible or how we might go about it would be a great help. There is so much online and people usually will only help for a large sum of money. Really hope to hear back soon ..... cheers

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nicola, I am happy to wait for you to see if you can find someone to help me. Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have any idea how long I might have to wait?
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that's great, thank you, ***** ***** you can find someone soon l.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will continue to wait.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I be getting my £26 refunded?
Yes, I will process that for you now.
I apologise again that we could not find someone to assist.