UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I live in the UK since 4.5 years & work as GP trainee,

Customer Question

I live in the UK since 4.5 years & work as GP trainee, I have tier 2 (BRP) visa until August 2017.
I went to my country (Iraq) to renew our Iraqi passports which will expire on 20/04/2015.
The passport system in Iraq for many years was repeating the 3rd (grandfather) name as the surname (for security reasons due sectarian conflicts), therefore my Surname is "HASIN" the name is***** in all my UK correspondences.
Now the passport system in Iraq decided to put the original big family name as in the national ID card as the Surname despite all my requests to keep my details as it is in the passport & they want to put my name as Mustafa A Hasin "Karagooly".
Is there any problems in entering the UK with such a change & if so, can I travel to the UK with a passport which is 3-4 days before its expiry (if I didn't change my passport).
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You can enter the UK as long as your passport and UK visa are valid on the day you return to the UK.
As for the different names in your new passport, this is not a problem as you may make a statutory declaration saying you are one and the same person despite the different names in the documents.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the reply.So, if I entered with new passport containing an additional new Surname & have the previous expired passport with me containing the old Surname will this make any problem in the airport entry.Second, if I didn't change my passport & came to the UK earlier with the old Iraqi passport 4 days before expiry & a BRP visa valid till August 2017 can I fly with the airlines & enter the UK in such occasion.What is the role governing the second point if I've been faced by the airlines or the passport security.Can I keep all my correspondance in the UK the same as the old Surname based on the previous passport.
You will be fine as long as your old passport and bRP are valid on the day you return to the UK.
You should not have problems with the airline or passport control.