How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My partner and I have been in a relationship since April 2013,

Resolved Question:

My partner and I have been in a relationship since April 2013, while I have been in the country on a Tier 2 work visa. For a significant portion of that time, my partner has been a student in one city, while I have worked in another. My partner's non-term-time address has been my address, as this is where she spends her time when she is not at university, and her term-time address is in the city she attends university at. With her time at university coming to an end, we now intend to continue living together in the same place.
We have recently had a civil partnership ceremony, and I would like to change my visa to FLR(M) on this basis. The forms for this frequently ask questions with regards ***** ***** partner's "main" address, and as to whether or not we live together for the purposes of the application. I am unsure as to whether we should use her non-term-time address (my address) as her main address, declaring that we live together; or whether we should use her term-time address as her main address, declaring we do not & explaining why we do not.
I also wonder how this influences the evidence we have to provide (correspondence etc - Section 13 FLR(M) application form) with our application to prove that we either live together, or see each other on a regular basis. (We visit each other every week to two weeks.) In addition, the situation with her living at both addresses obviously means that, while some of her formal correspondence comes to my address (bank statements, phone bills, etc), others go to her term-time address (NHS letters, council tax, etc).
I have one additional question on a slightly different topic as well. With regards ***** ***** financial requirements (Section 7 FLR(M) application form), we are using my salaried income from the last 2 years as a ‘Category A’ income. My partner has recently started a new job with variable hours/pay, which would be ‘Category B’. We do not require her income to meet the financial requirement, as mine is sufficient on it’s own, and we will be applying under Category A only, however the form asks for both of our employment statuses and incomes - do I need to provide her income/employment details alongside mine, even though I’m aware that it will not count towards the financial requirement under Category A, or do I leave this off, as we are not using it to contribute to the financial requirement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Where will you live after the date you submit your application?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Initially, we'll be living at my address together, however we'll be moving together to a different city within 6 months of the application as my job will be relocating me.


Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If her main address is her term time address and she will be living there after you have submitted your applicaiotn then you should use that.
If after you have submitted your application you will be living at your address then you should use your address but in your covering letter or in the additional information section of the form you should state that she has been living at her term time address and will move to your address after you have submitted your applicaiton.
You should still give details of her income from her new job.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful. The only remaining question I have is how that affects the evidence required for the application as I mentioned in the original email - do you have any idea about this?



Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You still have to show evidence of your partner's earlier address in order to verify what she is saying is true.
You then have to both confirm that she will live at your address and obviously give evidence of your address.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions