Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I'm a Canadian citizen, married to a British Citizen, and we

I'm a Canadian citizen, married to a British Citizen, and we are trying to navigate the visas for me to live with him semi-permanently (say 3-5 years). If I recieve a Family Visitor visa that allows me to stay in the UK for up to 6 months, can I during that time apply to remain with him under a 'family of a settled person visa'? Essentially will I be allowed to switch between those visas while in England, is there a different way I'm missing?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
You will not be able to switch to a spouse visa if you entered under a family visit visa. This is because all visit visas are subject to the condition the holder must not spend more than 6 months nne 12 month period in the uk.
This is taken to mean that you cannot switch into another form of visa. This is applied very strictly by the home office and your application would be rejected if you applied for switch
Additionally it may cause problems for any future applications that you make it. in the circumstances if you are going to plan to stay here 3-5 years then you should just apply for a spouse visa from canada and come here on this basis.
Tom