UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

With indefinite LTR since 1985-both letter and stamp

Customer Question

With indefinite LTR since 1985-both letter and stamp in an expired Zimbabwe passport, will I still be able to apply for an NTL premium biometric card?
I urgently require acceptable ID to sit an approved English language certificate (amended 6th april 2015).My citizenship application is presently with the Home Office (submitted through a checking service in March).I have only 2weeks to produce this. Having been through a maze of varying advice over the past couple of days, I wonder what hope there is! Should it be possible, I shall beg for extended time. Please help!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you may apply for a premium same day service for the NTL. It costs £660.
You may use the letter and ILR stamp in your old passport as proof of your NTL status.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I cannot find any definite information on- line regarding using an expired passport. The Home office told me I could only go to the Zimbabwe Embassy this morning. So many of the goal posts have changed from April 6th. I will contact the premium service for the biometric card on Tuesday. When I have an idea of the time line, I will write and appeal for more time on the citizenship...they have given me until 22 May. After all the effort and expense I hope it will be worth it.

It clearly mentions an expired passport here https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the link, that is clear. I will proceed on those lines after the bank holiday. In the mean time composing a convincing letter to HM for an extension of time. I imagine there are many people whose english certificates fall short of the new guidelines as there was a flood of applications prior to the price rise at the beginning of April. I just need to get to Cape Town asap to see my ailing Dad after 31years, originally starting the process to take a position as RGN with the NHS. Does an ILTR stamp in an expired passport mean I don't presently have a valid work permit?

You are allowed to work, your ILR stamp is still valid, only your passport is not.